Newt, the build and package management tool for Apache Mynewt, is an unheralded yet integral component in the composition of an expansive OS for embedded. Newt includes:
- Composablity: open project collaboration; maintaining private code trees; enforced source code layout.
- Build: config; multiple targets; source code layout including 3rd party SDKs.
- Package Management: versioning and stability.
- Embedded artifacts: debugger maintenance; generation of flash images, upgradable images.
- Introspection: size; packages; versions.
- Enforced hierarchy: HW MCU; HW BSP; Application.
- System Definition: Split images for upgrade; RAM locs; Flash / persistent storage.
The talk will also compare/contrast with mechanisms such as kconfig and discuss approaches to leveraging both environments.